How would I Prepare if Competing this Year by Brian Woolf
Tips on creating a winnable speech
- The more personal your speech, the more universal its reach
- What want them to Think, Feel, or Do? —Write Closing (draft)
- Grabber opening — Question (or Curiosity-Arouser)
- Format: 1 or 3 stories? (Tell a Story, Make a Point)
- PTS (Phrase That Stays)
- Dialog with Audience
- Satisfy the Senses
- Twists (Titillate the mind; mentally amusing; creates humor)
- Vary VSH (Visual Speaking Height)
- Differentiation: Besides PTS, anything else they’ll remember from your speech?
This speech contest workshop was hosted by the Advanced Communicators Toastmasters club. They provide opportunities for experienced Toastmasters to experiment, expand and excite your Toastmasters’ journey.
Join them the 2nd and 4th Saturday from 2-4 PM at the Mauldin Public Library 800 W. Butler Road Mauldin, SC 29607