Nomination and Election Procedures
The District 58 Nominating Committee Chair, for the 2015-2016 Nominations, is Helen Kelly, DTM, PDG.
Note: The deadline for submitting a nomination is Sunday, February 15, 2015. This will allow time to announce the nominating committee selected candidates and allow each candidate to have campaign material available at the Division and Area Speech Contests.
Officer Agreement & Release Form
Toastmasters International requires that any candidates running for and/or holding office, whether elected or appointed, agree to and sign the Officer Agreement and Release. Please submit your signed form to the Nominations Committee Chair before elections start at the Spring Conference.
If you’ve been wondering about your qualifications for voting and being a proxy holder, here are some answers.
Who Can Vote?
Voting members of the district council are the club presidents, Vice Presidents of Education and the members of the District Executive Committee: District Governor, Lt. Governor of Education and Training, Lt. Governor of Marketing, the Immediate Past District Governor, Public Relations Officer, District Secretary, District Treasurer, Division Governors and Area Governors.
Proxy: The District makes a District 58 Spring Proxy available at least two weeks in advance of a District council meeting for use in the event that either the Club President or Vice President of Education, or both, cannot attend the meeting. The credential/proxy form will contain all of the following:
- District number
- Description of event
- Date and location of meeting
- Space for club name and number
- Space for name of club representative or proxy holder
- Space for signature of authorization of club officer and office held
- The date the credential/proxy is signed
Who Can Be A Proxy Holder?
Either the club president or the club Vice President of Education may designate, in writing, any active member in good standing of the club to act as a proxy or proxies and cast one or both of the club’s ballots at the district council meeting. If one of those officers is not at the meeting and has not designated, in writing, an active member of the club to act as proxy or proxies of the club at any council meeting, the other officer in attendance may cast two votes. The intent is to assure that every club will be able to cast two votes. No other proxies are valid at any such meeting.
At the meeting, the District Governor explains the election rules and procedures to the delegates. If the District Governor is not present, a person designated by the District Governor may stand in.
The District Governor or designee makes clear that:
- Each candidate will speak on his or her own behalf.
If a candidate is not present:
- He or she may be represented by another person who will speak on his or her behalf.
- Restrictions apply regarding the choice of a representative. The following meeting officials may not give a speech on behalf of a candidate unless that individual resigns before the annual business meeting begins:
- A member of the district executive committee
- A member of the district nominating committee
- The credentials chair
- Any meeting official
The following rules apply to the nominating committee’s report:
- The nominating committee chair gives the committee report.
- If the chairman is absent, the District Governor may designate someone else to give the report.
- The district nominating committee chair (or designee) first announces the names of the members of the District nominating committee.
- The chair then reads the name and club number of each candidate, in alphabetical order, for each of these offices:
- District Director (formerly District Governor)
- Program Quality Director (formerly Lt Governor Education and Training)
- Club Growth Director (formerly Lt Governor Marketing)
- Division Director (formerly Division Governor)