Communication & Leadership Award
Purpose of the Award:
The purpose of the award is to honor a non-Toastmaster who has made substantial contributions in the areas of communications and leadership.
Criteria of Award Recipients
Following are the criteria used for award recipient selection:
- Must be a resident of the geographical area covered by District 58 (i.e., the State of South Carolina);
- Must be a non-Toastmaster, can be a former Toastmaster;
- Should have distinguished himself/herself as a leader or spokesperson for a worthy cause or purpose, especially as it exemplified their communication and leadership skills;
- Shall have made a significant contribution to the communities within the District. The impact of this contribution must not be limited to one organization, but must be community/district wide.
- Should support Toastmasters organization
- This award may not be presented to a recipient a second time.
- Must be able to personally accept the award and give an acceptance address at either the District 58 Spring or Fall Conference; and,
- Must be a skilled communicator/speaker.
A person who has become a public official, a business leader, an academic leader, or who is successful in other fields of endeavor would be an excellent nominee.
Award Recipient Selection Process
- Any District 58 Toastmaster in good standing may submit a nomination for the award. Only nominations submitted by Toastmasters in District 58 will be considered.
- Nominations must be made in writing on the Nomination Form, or a similar format, providing reasons why the nominee should be considered for the award.
- Nominations must be submitted to the Communication & Leadership Award Chair by the published nominations due date. Or, if the Toastmaster making the nominations chooses, he/she may personally present the written nomination to the entire Executive Committee and the Communication & Leadership Award Chair by the nominations due date. This date will be set sufficiently early to allow the Executive Committee to review all nominations and to reach a decision as to the award recipient at least four weeks prior to the Spring Conference.
- The Communication & Leadership Award Chair will send all submittals to each member of the Executive Committee after the nomination due date.
- The Executive Committee will consider all nominations submitted by Toastmasters in District 58 by the due date.
- The Executive Committee will decide which nominee, if any, is worthy of the award. The decision will be made by a majority vote of the Executive Committee at which a quorum is present. This vote may be performed via email.
- If a majority of the Executive Committee feels that no nominations merit the award, then no award will be made for that year.
- If an award is to be given, the District 58 Governor will contact the recipient, tell him/her that he/she has been chosen to receive the award, advise the recipient that he/she must make an acceptance address at the Spring or Fall Conference as a condition of receiving the award, and advise of all other pertinent details. The lunch on Saturday of the Spring or Fall Conference is the preferred time for the award. However, the award recipient and the Conference Chair may mutually agreeable upon another time during the conference.
- If the chosen recipient cannot make an acceptance address or cannot personally accept the award or chooses not to accept the award, then the District 58 Governor will advise the Executive Committee and they may choose to select another recipient for the award that year. If another recipient is chosen, then the District 58 Governor will contact that individual in accordance with Step #8 above.
- On or about the award announcement date, the District 58 Governor will announce the award recipient or announce that there will not be an award that year.
Any Toastmaster may nominate a recipient. If you wish to nominate more than one person, please submit separate entries for each individual. The Nomination Form, along with any supplemental information should be sent to the District 58 Governor firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the instructions in theNomination Form.
Selection of the recipient for the Communication and Leadership award is made by District Staff. Selection is contingent upon the recipient’s confirmed attendance for the award presentation.
The Communication and Leadership award will be presented at the District 58 Annual Conference at the Saturday Hall of Fame Luncheon.