This event provides an excellent opportunity for visitors and new members. Here are some proven steps you can take:
1. Optional but advised: move the contest from your regular meeting time to a Friday or Saturday evening.
2. Publicize the event as a free evening of humor. You can find a sample announcement on the Resource page of this site, under Public Relations.
3. Send the announcement to the Arts and Entertainment and the coming events editors at local newspapers, TV and radio stations.
4. If you don’t have a contact list with local media, check MondoTimes which you can search by state and city.
5. Submit a listing to all the online calendars of events in your area, such as the community government site, Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitors Bureau, Eventful.com, EventUpon, EventBrite and even Craigslist under “community activities.”
6. Promote actively on social media, including MeetUp, Face Book and LinkedIn.
7. Finally, put fliers wherever you can, usually libraries and grocers are helpful.
8. Invite members of the press.
9. Consider a raffle for a gift card at Starbucks or other coffee/tea emporium. Each member gets one ticket for each guest he or she brings.
10. Then, having completed a comprehensive publicity campaign, enjoy the contest.
Next will come the press releases about the winners and their progress to your area competition and ultimately the District finals on October 01 in Columbia, SC.