What does the year 1946 and District 58 have in common?
- In 1946 the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund was established.
- The British Broadcasting Television Service starting broadcasting again after recovering from WWII.
- AT&T announced the first car phone.
- Bikinis go on sale in Paris.
- BB King’s musical career starts.
Why is the ancient history of any concern to the members of District 58? Because 1946 is how many paid members we currently have in District 58.
We still have two more clubs that will charter this year (making it a total of ten new clubs this year) and a couple of clubs trying to get the very last April dues payments in the system. We are really trying to reach 2500 members in the District by 30 June 2013. It is a huge order, but if every member invites someone to a meeting, based on our experience, ½ of those invited will join the club.
We have 19 Clubs which have five or more Distinguished Club Goals completed, but they need the paid membership applications submitted to World Headquarters to become distinguished.
Please step out smartly as we continue to excel with the remainder of the Toastmasters Year.